If you love pet rats, then finding a nice home for it should be a priority.
This means you will have to get the best rat cages on the market right now. These are cages designed to ensure that they provide the best facilities for the pet rat.
Today, we review some of the top options so that you can make up your mind knowing what is good for your pet. Let us get into the guide already.
- What is The Best Rat Cage?
- The 10 Best Rat Cages
- Best Rat Cages Reviews
- 1. Go2buy Metal 3 Doors Rats Cage
- 2. Yaheetech Metal Cage
- 3. AmazonBasics Pet Habitat
- 4. Kaytee My First Home Multi-Level Habitat for Exotics
- 5. Living World Hagen Pet Carrier
- 6. Kaytee Multi-Level Cage with Removable Casters
- 7. Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation
- 8. Pervue Rat and Chinchilla Cage
- 9. Midwest Ferret Nation Double Unit with Stand Ferret Cage
- 10. Prevue Hendryx Black Feisty Cage
- How to Clean a Rat Cage?
- How to Keep Odors Under Control
- How Often to Clean Rat Cage?
- What to Put in a Rat Cage?
What is The Best Rat Cage?
With many manufacturers right now offering rat cages, sometimes it can be hard to make up your mind. As a result, you will have to consider some important features to help guide you to the right model. Below is a list of the features that make up the right rat cage.
The Size of The Cage
The overall size of the cage goes a long way to make it suitable for your pet. Remember that you might have to add more accessories to the cage. Take the time to check out several options so that you can find one that delivers the best space to allow a better living for your pet.
At some point, you might have to clean your pet’s cage. Well, it will be great to have a model that allows for ease of cleaning. Accessibility is really important to get deep into the cage so that it can always be cleaned.
Considering that the pet will be in the cage all the time, then it would be great if you can have it well ventilated. This also helps to improve the overall smell in the cage as more air comes in to keep it fresh.
The materials used to make the rat cage go a long way to determine the overall durability. You will not want to keep buying a new cage every few months. Go for a model that offers the best durability and sturdiness.
For most manufacturers, they would send you the rat cage with multiple accessories. Such accessories include ramps, shelves, hammocks, and more. Look to see what more you get with the cage in terms of accessories. This saves you money from spending a lot more even after buying the rat cage.
The 10 Best Rat Cages
The best cages are supposed to have the best feature to hold the pet rat and make its life easier. Well, we have compiled some of the top rat cages in the market.
From our table comparison below, you should find the right option for your pet. Check out the table to learn more about rat cages.
|Pictures||Rat Cages||Material & Sizes||Links|
|Go2buy Metal 3|
Doors Rats Cage
25.2 x 17.2 x 51.7’’
25 x 17 x 36.5''
25.2 x 16.9 x 51.6’’
|Iron / Plastic|
48.6 x 26.6 x 20.6’’
42.1 x 24.2 x 19.7’’
31.7 x 21.8 x 18.1
|Kaytee My First|
Habitat for Exotics
|Iron / Plastic|
30.5” x 18” x 30”
|Living World Hagen|
11.8 x 9 x 8.3”
24 x 24 x 41.5"
36 x 25 x 24.5"
36 x 25 x 38.5"
36 x 25 x 63"
|Pervue Rat and|
|Acrylic / Plastic|
31 x 20.5 x 40"
|Midwest Ferret Nation|
Double Unit with
Stand Ferret Cage
36" x 25 x 62.5"
Black Feisty Cage
|Acrylic / Plastic|
31 x 20 x 54"
Best Rat Cages Reviews
1. Go2buy Metal 3 Doors Rats Cage
The first thing that stands out for the cage should be its size. It does come with a large capacity allowing the owner to setup several ramps for more fun in it. It also allows for having several pets in the same cage without additional cost.
The manufacturer sends you the cage with complementary wall mounted water bottle. This is a nice accessory that ensures your pet gets hydrated all the time. The presence of heavy duty rolling casters makes it easy to setup the cage where you want.
The durability is definitely something you will love. The full metal construction can assure the user of the best durability. Cleaning is still easy when working with this cage to keep the home of your pet clean.
- Great durability
- It is safe for pets
- Easy to clean
- The doors are not wide enough
2. Yaheetech Metal Cage
This is one of the best options to consider because of its sturdiness. The cage does come with 4-layers consisting of multiple ramps. It should then be great for your pet to use for playing different games moving up and down.
The strong construction is even made better by having powder coated steel wires. The powder coating ensures no more rust issues in the long term.
The best part about the rat cage is that it can be customized. This is where you can slide the ramps to different locations based on preference. Since these ramps and shelves can slide out, then you should have an easier time cleaning the cage.
- Comfortable cage for pets
- Powder coated steel wires
- Sturdy cage
- Small doors
3. AmazonBasics Pet Habitat
This is quite the versatile rat cage that you can buy today. It is seen to be great for small animals such as rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, and chinchillas. As a result, you do not have to worry about getting different models if you have such pets in your homes.
Having an iron wire upper frame adds durability to the cage. Well, the PP plastic base is still strong enough to work as a great home for your pet. Having the large top and front openings on overall makes it easy for accessing the interior of the cage.
Some of the additional accessories include a non-drip water bottle, hay guard, and a balcony having access to a ramp. These will all make life for your pet better. The hide-away space underneath the balcony provides for some privacy.
- It is easy to assemble
- Comes with multiple accessories
- Good for various small pets
- Plastic bottom durability could be better
4. Kaytee My First Home Multi-Level Habitat for Exotics
This is an ideal habitat not only for pet rats, but also chinchillas and other exotic pets. You will find it being quite versatile so that you can work with it depends on the small pets you might have at home.
To make it even more functional, it does come with multiple levels. These allow for your pet to climb and play with ease. Since a rat always loves to climb, then this should be ideal for the pet.
The deep base on the other hand is good in terms of preventing the messes from getting out. You will love how it is easy to keep the environment clean.
- The cage is easy to assemble
- Cleaning is easy
- The deep base prevents messes
- Thin plastic components
5. Living World Hagen Pet Carrier
This is a nice pet carrier and cage you can buy right now. If you need to move your pet rat, then this is the best option to do it. The best part is that this pet carrier comes ridged and non-slip for its bottom. It should keep the pet safe as a result.
You can opt for the size that works for your pet needs. Each of the sizes comes with multiple innovative design features whose aim is to provide the best comfort and convenience.
Having a transparent lid makes it easy to keep an eye on your furry pet in it. It also helps to eliminate the feeling on Closter phobia for the pet considering the bottom is quite high.
- It comes with a non-slip floor
- Offers good comfort and convenience
- Transparent lid for monitoring
- Doors are not wide enough
6. Kaytee Multi-Level Cage with Removable Casters
Coming from Kaytee, we expect it to work really good. Well, it does not disappoint on many aspects. First of all, it does come with multiple levels and ramps. These are essential for a rat pet to play around in it.
The base is easily removable so that you can clean or replace it in a snap. This is what makes more people want to go for it. Also, it is deep enough to hold multiple accessories you might want to include.
The bar spacing of the cage makes it good for different ages of the rat. Even if it is small, it would not easily get through the cage bar spacing. It is not just for rats, but also other small animals.
- It is easy to clean
- Has a deep scarterless base
- Safe cage
- The wiring is flimsy
7. Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation
This cage comes with all the essential features that are important for keeping a pet rat. This includes shelves, ramps, and much more. On overall, you should find it being easy to set it up and take it apart if you have to do it.
As for moving it, you will find it being easy as it comes with 4 locking wheel casters. There is also a leak proof pan to allow for playing. This also helps to keep the messes contained in the cage. The pan is still good for preventing dangerous falls.
You can use the same cage for ferrets, dagus, and chinchillas. As a result, it is seen as a versatile product. As for wire spacing, you should find it being great to contain the pet rat from escaping.
- Multiple shelves available
- Good for other small pets
- Ease of cleaning
8. Pervue Rat and Chinchilla Cage
This is still a nice option if you are looking for the best rat cage. Starting with its construction, we find that it boasts of the best durability. You will also find it having the best in terms of multiple ramps and shelves. As a result, it will provide a great environment for your rat pet to enjoy itself.
On overall, it comes with a solid construction. This will lead to having the best durability for years to come. It is why you would see more people going for it as they would not have to buy a new cage every few months.
There is also the wind-bell lock. This is a tamper proof lock that will help keep the pet from escaping from the cage.
- Durable model
- Has multiple shelves and ramps
- Impressive lock
9. Midwest Ferret Nation Double Unit with Stand Ferret Cage
Ferret Nation is another top brand in the market. For this reason, we expect to get one of the best option too. Well, that is what you can expect with the model at the moment. To make it the best, it comes with two shelves and three ramps. These should be enough to create a great environment for your rat to play.
Another great feature is that the cage is extremely durable. You will love the way it maintains its durability over the years to come. Also, it is easy to maneuver because of the 4 locking caster wheels. There is no doubt you will love the way it works.
The assembly on overall is easy. You do not need any specialized tools to get it up.
- Easy to clean
- Multiple shelves and ramps
10. Prevue Hendryx Black Feisty Cage
For those who are after space, then you can always get this type of cage. It is definitely spacious to ensure that you can add more accessories to the cage. Talking about accessories, the manufacturer still sends you multiple accessories such as platforms, ramps, a hammock, and grille. You will not have to spend extra money to buy them.
You still get that the cage comes with large hinged doors. As a result, you will end up with an easy time cleaning the cage if you have to. The best part is that the locks make it hard for your pet to escape.
The caster wheels on the cage allow for you to easily move the cage to where you want. There is no doubt many people would want such a feature.
- It is a spacious cage
- Comes with multiple accessories
- Prone to rusting
How to Clean a Rat Cage?
It is always important to maintain a clean cage for your pet rat. For a rat, it tends to have urine highly concentrated in ammonia. As a result, cleaning it more often would be great as it could lead to infections later on. Well, if you are interested in knowing how to clean the rat’s cage, then the procedure below should get you started.
- Start by moving the pet to a temporary location so that you can work on the contents of the cage. A rat can easily escape so make sure that you keep the pet in a bin with a lid but still air holes to keep it well ventilated. This is then followed by emptying the cage. This includes removing all the toys, rat litter, bedding, and more. You can dispose the litter and bedding if they are too dirty.
- Next proceed to spray the disinfecting solution to the cage to help soften the dirt that might have accumulated over the days or weeks. This is then followed by washing the cage and its accessories using dish soap. A rag or washcloth can come in handy to help scrub all the dirt from the cage.
- Once you satisfied that the rat cage is clean enough, then you can go ahead to rinse the cage and accessories with plenty of clean water. Let the cage and accessories to air dry before setting it back later on.
How to Keep Odors Under Control
No one loves to have a smelly cage for the pet. As a result, it will be great if you can invest in methods to keep the odor under control. Below are some practices to follow to help in keeping odors away.
- Always keep the cage clean. Well, a cage that has not been cleaned for weeks will always end up having issues with odor. Depending on availability, you can clean the cage daily or weekly. You will never have to worry about smells anymore.
- You might have to clean some cages more often than others. Such cages include those made of uncoated metal. The uncoated metals will tend to hold onto the dirt more than the painted ones. Even those with pullout pans will need more cleaning to help reduce the smell on overall.
- Another possible way would be adding apple cider vinegar to the water. The aim of apple cider vinegar is to help reduce the smell in the rat urine. Just add two drops and not more.
- It will be great if you also change the betting more often so as to keep the smell to a minimum. You can also train your pet to urinate in a certain spot all the time. This will help with spot cleaning daily.
- The non-plastic accessories should be replaced more often. This includes paper, cloth, wood, or cardboard accessories. This is because will tend to soak up urine with time. Even if you clean them, they will tend to hold onto the urine smell.
How Often to Clean Rat Cage?
When it comes how often to clean a rat cage, you can do it either daily or weekly. For the daily part, you will be spot cleaning. This is where you just get to clean the soiled areas to help maintain the overall cleanliness. Well, for weekly cleaning is where you get to remove all the contents of the cage and get them thoroughly cleaned.
What to Put in a Rat Cage?
Your pet rat needs the best environment if you are going to keep it at home. So, what should you put in the cage. That is what we get to look at below.
- Dry bedding is a must to include in the cage. As much as rats can handle cold temperatures well, they still need the best bedding for comfort. It is common to find most people using shredded paper. It is cheap and easily available. Please avoid aromatic cedar and pine as they can be dangerous to the pet.
- A rat hammock is another nice addition. You will notice that rats just love cuddling in hammocks. Well, you should make it something that your pet can easily access by setting it up.
- Hydration is important for any pet. As a result, consider including a water bottle in the cage. Set it up at a height that would make it easy to reach for the rat.
- We cannot forget a food bowl. You definitely have to get a heavy and low food bowl. This is because rats tend to knock over light food bowls spilling everything.
- Add more toys as much as the space can allow. This will help keep the rat having an active lifestyle by playing games with the toys.
There is no doubt that by now you have an idea about what makes the best rat cages. All the models we have reviewed above are great. As a result, you can always get a great cage regardless of what you decide to pick. Always set up the cage to suit the needs of your pet. This will greatly improve its life on overall.