I just love my pet guinea pig! The cute, adorable and furry body of my guinea pig is super important to take care of. Getting the best bedding for guinea pigs is one sure way I take care of my pet. It helps him get very comfortable.
Guinea pigs have just the same delicate body structures and organs as humans do. I recently got a nice bedding for my guinea pig, Tom. He rolled over and cuddled in it. I was so certain he loved it.
There are different types of beddings for guinea pigs so you can always make your choice.
- Benefits of Using Bedding for Guinea Pigs
- What are the Kind of Beddings for Guinea Pigs
- Best Guinea Pig Bedding to Buy on the Market
- Best Bedding for Guinea Pigs Reviews
- What is the Best Bedding for Guinea Pigs?
- How to Set Up a Guinea Pig Bedding?
- What is the Safest Bedding for Guinea Pigs?
- How to Use Fleece Bedding for Guinea Pigs?
- How to Clean a Guinea Pigs Fleece Bedding?
Benefits of Using Bedding for Guinea Pigs
Ever since I got my guinea pig, Tom a bedding, a lot has changed. The benefits of a bedding are quite immense.
There are many positives on getting a bedding for your guinea pig. Leaving your guinea pig to sleep without one is like allowing a human body so keep on the floor and that can be uncomfortable. I can’t imagine leaving Tom to sleep on a bare floor. The benefits of using a bedding include the following.
For fun: guinea pigs have evolved to like hiding for fun. For this reason, a bedding is important to them for hiding. It gives your guinea pigs some form of entertainment while in their cage.
For comfort: beddings benefit guinea pigs by providing them with comfort. It’s not something new that warm blooded animals like comfort so much and this does not exclude your guinea pig.
To stable warmth: As their cages are made out of metal, it would be very uncomfortable for guinea pigs to sleep on the cold metal floor. This is why beddings are needed. Guinea pigs naturally have a high body temperature. A nice fluffy bedding would keep them warmed up and comfortable while napping.
Absorbs the odour: Beddings collect the urine and wet substances that can be found when your guinea pig messes up. This is good. Rather than cleaning and scrubbing the cage to remove those dirty substances, you can easily take out the bedding and replace it.
To prevent diseases: Science has shown that beddings help prevent you and your pet from contracting infectious diseases like respiratory infections and skin diseases.
These benefits are in total agreement with you and your guinea pig. Beddings for guinea pigs makes it very easy to take care of your pet.
What are the Kind of Beddings for Guinea Pigs
When I wanted to pick a bedding for Tom, I had a lot of things to consider. I wanted to give my pet guinea pig the best. A soft bedding was my answer. Diverse textures of materials are used to make guinea pig beddings.
That being said, it is always good to choose the right one that suits your pet. There are different kinds of beddings. There are odour control types also. However, having some knowledge on the types of beddings will help you make a better choice.
For quite a while now, a lot of guinea pig owners such as myself have simply used wood chips or shavings as a bedding material. These have proven to be coarse and irritating to clean.
Presently, there are other types with much comfortable qualities.
The kinds of Beddings for guinea pigs include:
Wood shavings : these have most frequently been used. However due to technology’s many evolutions, it has been discovered that wood shavings like cedar contain some oils that make guinea pigs sick.This type of bedding does not have any form of odour control so using this can make you pet’s cage stink a lot.
Paper bedding : is very common and produced by different brands. Some maybe comfortable and others might not. They might also have odour control but are hardly long lasting.
Fleece bedding: on the other hand is very soft and comfortable. It is absorbent, reusable and very environmentally friendly.
Best Guinea Pig Bedding to Buy on the Market
You have seen the reason why it is very important to get a bedding for your pet guinea pig. It provides your pet with maximum comfort and safety.
Getting a bedding for your guinea pig has also been shown to reduce the rate of diseases caught by your pet.
There is much benefit derived from sleeping on a lovely surface. However, there are many brands and kinds of bedding for guinea pigs in the market. You must be able to pick which is best suited for your guinea pigs needs.
|Pictures||Guinea Pig Bedding||Made of||Links|
|Premium Soft Paper||Natural Paper|
|Fresh World Bedding||Recycled Paper|
|Kaytee Clean and Cozy White||Paper|
|Carefresh Shavings Plus||Paper|
|Kaytee Soft Granule Blend||Wood Fiber|
|House Winter Warm Fleece||Fleece|
|Premium Pet Playpen||Cloth|
Best Bedding for Guinea Pigs Reviews
1. Carefresh Complete
Carefresh Natural pet bedding is very safe and is made from reclaimed pulp. It is made from soft pillowy, ultra-absorbent comfy fluff material. It is processed to remove any potential harmful compounds ensuring the safety of the pet.
The Carefresh Natural pet bedding is less dusty, cleaner and healthier. In its production, it has utilised the pulp and paper industry waste to make this pet bedding. The dimension of the product is 19 x 15.8 x 5 inches.
- Free of inks, dyes and harmful chemicals
- Sanitised to 380-degree Fahrenheit to prevent bacterial growth
- Absorbs 3 times more the weight in liquids from pet waste
- Saves time and money for ease
- 99 percent dust free for easy clean up
- Odour formula only lasts for 10 days
- It requires using 3 Beddings for full comfort which can be economically wasteful
2. Kaytee CritterTrail
The CritterTrail bedding tray is disposable for quick and easy cleaning. It fits the regular rectangular critter habitats and comes in a 3 pack. The product claims to be very absorbent and soft with easy cleaning. The dimension of the product is 9.5 x 4.8 x 17 inches with a light weight of 1.15 pounds.
The product does not specify any odour formula unlike the Carefresh Complete brand. However, if you’re a fan of reusable items, this is right for you.
- It is recyclable and fully disposable
- It provides fast and simple cage cleaning
- Soft and absorbent cozy bedding
- It has a rectangular size fit for critter sized beds
- Does not have any odour control formula
- It has just one defined standard size
- The product does not provide the source of the material for bedding
- The product does not signify if it is chemical free or safe for pet
3. Premium Soft Paper
Perhaps you have more than one guinea pig, this product is perfect for you. The premium soft paper is very versatile as it is a natural bedding for guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits, and chinchillas. It is very comfortable, affordable and has absorbable properties which is very much suited for all small pets.
The cool part is it comes in a large size. Its dimension is 25 x 16.5 x 8.5 inches with 18 pounds of weight. It can accommodate your many precious guinea pigs. It’s made from pure unbleached never been printed paper.
- It is very ideal for rabbits and guinea pigs
- It is 100% safe as it is made with no harmful chemical additives
- It is very soft and comfortable
- Also, it is very absorbent
- Each bag expands 3 times in volume from its packaged size
- Does not signify any odour free formula within
- Product does not signify any dust free properties
- The product must be changed frequently because smell is too strong
4. Fresh World Bedding
This product is perfect for the fun lovers who enjoy spending time with their guinea pigs. VitaKraft Fresh World Bedding offers pet owners the convenience of spending more time playing with their pets rather than cleaning out cages.
The product is made with a baking soda free formula that rapidly absorbs and locks in the moisture to prevent the odour ruining the beautiful atmosphere. It is made from recycled paper ands absorbs 3 times the weight in moisture. The pros and cons are below.
- Soft and cozy paper crumbles for utmost comfort
- Contains no harmful chemicals and is unbleached and baking soda free
- Has odour control which makes you feel at peace
- It is 99.5% dust free and very easy to clean up
- The odour control only lasts for 14 days
- It is not expandable.
5. Kaytee Clean and Cozy White
You probably love it when your pet guinea pig burrows. Well, I sure do. This soft bedding gives you your desires. The Kaytee Clean and Cozy white small animal bedding offers a whole new standard of bedding with super soft and absorbent material to give your pet the best comfort it requires.
It is also soft and very fluffy to allow your pet play and burrow. And if you like variety, the product comes with a wide selection of colours and scents to pick from.
- It is 99.9% dust free which helps prevent respiratory issues
- It is 2 times more absorbent than wood shavings
- Soft and fluffy texture which is perfect for burrowing
- Has long recycled fibre strands which give it absorbent and consistent qualities
- Comes in several colours and scents to eliminate unwanted odours
- Bedding must be changed everyday for guinea pigs
6. Carefresh Shavings Plus
For a low budget bedding, this product is worth every dime. Carefresh Shavings Plus is a product that serves your pet comfy bedding purposes. It has a unique blend of dried kiln shavings and absorbent comfy fluff that keeps small pets warm and dry.
The product also offers low dust and an easy to clean bedding. The dimensions of this product is 19 x 15.8 x 5 inches with 9.55 pounds of weight.
- Provides all the features for small pets
- Has soft shavings with 30% comfy fluff paper bedding
- It is fresh and has odour control
- The product is 60% more absorbent than shavings alone
- Very easy to clean as it has low dust
- The odour control is only effective for 5 days
- The product does not specify safety from harmful chemicals
- It requires 3 beddings to be effective and hence, not economically friendly
- It is not totally dust free and can most likely cause allergies
7. Kaytee Soft Granule Blend
When choosing a bedding, softness is key. Kaytee brands aims to offer the softest and safest bedding for your pets.
The Kaytee Soft Granule Blend is a brand of Kaytee’s that offers good qualities. The product is made from scratch from wood fibres which are then converted into a soft, absorbent and comfortable bedding and litter for small pets.
The product offers 99.9% dust free material. It is also made in the United States. For guinea pigs and other small pets alike, the product offers maximum comfort. The dimensions of this product is 16.5 x 15.7 x 23.6 inches with a weight of 8.74 pounds. The pros and cons are outlined below.
- It is highly absorbent
- Product is 99.9% dust free which prevents any respiratory issues
- It holds 3 times its weight in liquid
- The product is also colour fast
- It is comfortable and safe
- Product does not specify presence of harmful chemicals
- It also does not signify any odour control formula present
8. Carefresh Custom
If your guinea pig is the lazy type and just likes to nest, this is definitely for him or her. The Carefresh Custom bedding is the standard premium bedding made for guinea pigs that like to nest on their bedding.
The product has very large pieces up to 25% larger materials for pillowy comfort. The dimension of the product is 19.5 x 15.8 x 5 inches with a weight of 8.5 pounds. The Carefresh Custom bedding also offers odour free properties and is very absorbent. However, it is not signified what materials were used to make the bedding.
- Product is specie specific as its 25% larger pieces make best nests
- Product is made with comfy fluff and is soft
- It offers odour control
- It is dry and 2 times more absorbent than shavings
- Has a low dust clean surface and is easy to clean
- The bedding has only 10 day odour control
- Bedding pieces are quite large for guinea pigs
- It requires 3 beddings to make comfortable
- Product does not specify the presence of harmful chemicals so it is not certain of safety
9. House Winter Warm Fleece
For the chilly seasons, this is super perfect. Winter can get your furry friend all nosed up. And this warm fleece can keep your guinea pig warm all the time.
The House Winter Warm Fleece is a type of fleece bedding that provides warm comfort for your pet. This product is different. It is made from fleece and suited especially for the cold season of winter. What’s cool is, it’s made of high density cotton which is not easy to deform.
It also comes with a nice shed to keep your pet warm and cozy during winter and chilly seasons. The product comes in different colours and its dimensions are 11.1 x 7.7 x 3,4 inches with a weight of 2.4 ounces. The product also comes in different sizes and can fit up to 2 guinea pigs. The pros and cons are outlined below.
- It is soft and cozy
- Made of fleece and durable contain which makes it economically and environmentally friendly
- Has nice shed for heat preservation to keep pet warm during cold season
- Cute bear prints with variety of colours
- It is safe because pets cannot begin to eat it
- No harmful chemicals present
- It might be difficult to maintain because of the cloth covering
- It is more suited for winter than other seasons
- Restricts movement of pets because it is stationary
- It might not be very absorbent
10. Premium Pet Playpen
This is for the playful critters. My guinea pig, Tom loves to play too, and he’d definitely love this.
The Premium Pet Playpen is a good quality product that completely replaces your guinea pig cage. The playpen offers the best way to train your pet in a safe space. Your pet is protected from anything harmful and dangerous.
Perfect for small pets, this playpen offers a sturdy indoor and outdoor experience for your pet. The product is also good for travelling purposes as you can take your pet anywhere you go for the holidays. A carrying case is also included.
The playpen is also built to be water resistant and can also be washed easily. The playpen can allow pets to stay in as long as you want even while busy. The playpen is also washable using a hose or faucet to spray it rather than using a washing machine. It is a second home away from home for your pet. The pros and cons of the product are outlined below.
- Easy pop-up feature
- Folds completely flat and is very lightweight and portable
- Uniquely designed to meet home and travel needs
- It has a strong internal steel frame which gives it a sturdy outlook
- Waterproof bottom protects your floors from any accidental messes
- It is covered with durable waterproof 600D Oxford cloth that is very easy to clean
- Comes with a carrying bag that is easy to store and transport pet
- Comes with 4 metal stakes for holding the playpen firmly on the ground outside
- Has a mesh on all sides for air flow and easy visibility
- Can contain more than one guinea pig
- It does not have an absorbent bottom
- It is not odour free
- It is also not dust free as it might cause respiratory disease for guinea pigs
- It may sometimes be difficult to wash effectively
- It is very large for just one guinea pig
- It is more suitable for other bigger pets
What is the Best Bedding for Guinea Pigs?
For a while now, many pet owners have used wood shavings as Beddings for their guinea pigs. As technology evolved, better products have been made to provide much better comfort for your guinea pigs.
With all the products and brands of beddings, only a particular type provides all round comfort for your little pet. A fleece bedding gives the best quality. It is by far the most efficient bedding.
The fleece can be washed and reused which makes it economically and environmentally friendly for all. It also requires just one or two towels. This doesn’t pose any problem because towels are very reusable and provide more comfort for your pet. It also keeps the cage much cleaner because of the many layers of bedding.
A fleece bedding is also good as it allows spot cleaning which doesn’t take up much of your time.
Fleece bedding is very safe. It is pre-treated correctly and has a proper under layer. A fleece bedding is generally cheaper especially for long term use as it is reusable and very good for the environment.
Bedding products made from fleece are always very safe and comfortable for pets. This makes it the best amidst all other kinds.
How to Set Up a Guinea Pig Bedding?
Setting up the bedding for your guinea pig is very easy and doesn’t require much to do.
Here’s how to go about it
Step 1: Set up your cage if you haven’t. If you have, make sure it’s clean and you’ve placed your guinea pig out of the cage and on your couch to wait.
Step 2: Place a cloth on the floor of your guinea pigs cage.
Step 3: Take your guinea pig bedding material and lay it out on the cloth placed.
Step 4: Make sure you cover the cloth completely with the bedding material. Also, make it high enough about 1 to 3 inches in height to give your guinea pig the best comfort.
Viola! That’s it. It’s really easy. You can follow this for any kind of bedding you decide on.
It is advisable to always read the instructions on the bedding product to know what steps to take in setting up your guinea pigs’ bedding.
What is the Safest Bedding for Guinea Pigs?
The safest bedding for guinea pigs is the fleece kind of bedding. It is very soft and odour free which is the priority in choosing a bedding. A fleece bedding is also very easy to clean as it only needs spot cleaning.
It is completely free of potentially harmful chemicals like hydrocarbons and oils that can cause be life threatening to your guinea pig.
It is also dust free which makes it safe for you and your guinea pig as it reduces any inherent risk of respiratory allergies or diseases. It is very advisable to go for the fleece bedding.
How to Use Fleece Bedding for Guinea Pigs?
To use Fleece Beddings for your guinea pigs, you must first decide on the product. After this, you must prepare the fleece for use. The importance of using fleece is usually because it absorbs the urine to the absorbent material underneath. This keeps the cage nice and dry minimising cases of foot and urinary infection.
To attain this, you must wash the fleece roughly 4 times in order to completely remove the waxy substance that is usually found on the fleece bedding after production. It is also good to take into consideration that no dryer sheets should be used on the fleece because it causes the fabric to lose its wicking ability. Fleece is perfect and so easy to use.
How to Clean a Guinea Pigs Fleece Bedding?
It is important to keep your guinea pigs fleece bedding clean. On the plus side, it is much easier to clean a fleece bedding than other bedding materials. It does not need to be cleaned occasionally.
Every day, you can remove any obvious dirt you spot and any debris on the bedding. First thing to do when cleaning the fleece bedding is to remove any faeces and food debris using a plastic scoop or small vacuum. After this, place loose hay you find in the bedding in a single corner. Then, use a curry comb to remove the loose hair by running it over the bedding a few times. Shake out the fleece to remove any remaining dirt that might be stuck in there.
You can also deep clean your fleece after removing obvious dirt. You can then place the fleece bedding in the washing machine and wash on high heat using half cup of vinegar and finally dry with low or medium heat. It is good to make cleaning your guinea pigs fleece bedding a routine to make sure your pet stays in a clean and safe environment.
Personally, you can decide to clean every day or once a week using the washing machine.
Bedding for guinea pigs is a sure way to make your pet happy. It is the right thing to do to keep your pet comfortable and healthy too. With an arrayed products and materials for bedding, there are certain types that do justice in keeping your guinea pigs comfortable.
As you have read in the article, some products may contain harmful chemicals that your pets may consume and eventually react to this product. A bedding must be soft, absorbent and safe for your guinea pig. Choose wisely.