If you have to keep a ball python as a pet, then you have to consider where to keep it. Well, you do not want it easily escaping and roaming around the house. The best way will be to get the best ball python enclosure.
There are many types on the market right now each having something unique to offer. Let us learn more about them below.
- Types of Ball Python Enclosures
- Best Ball Python Enclosure
- Best Ball Python Enclosure Reviews
- 1. Exo Terra Allglass Terrarium
- 2. Exo Terra Short All Glass Terrarium
- 3. Exo Terra Nano Wide Terrarium
- 4. Zilla Reptile Starter Kit 10
- 5. Exo Terra Glass Natural Terrarium Nano/Tall
- 6. Carolina Custom Cages Terrarium
- 7. Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit
- 8. Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium
- 9. Exo Terra Outback Terrarium
- 10. Zilla Vertical Tropical Kit
- Instructions on How to Care the Ball Python
- How to Set Up a Ball Python Enclosure?
- What Size Tank is Needed for a Ball Python?
- How to Hold a Ball Python
Types of Ball Python Enclosures
The glass enclosure is the most common. It is easily sourced and you should find the maintenance being easy. Also, people find it to be good for maintaining consistent humidity and temperature.
- Good for maintaining temperature
- Offers great visibility
- Easy to maintain
- Durability is not the best
The plastic/PVC enclosures are often designed to be attractive and still easy to clean. You will also like them for being lightweight and durable than glass.
- More durable
- Easy to clean
- Some might hold plastic smell for too long
If you want to make some homemade enclosure, then wood is the best option. Wood is lightweight and still inexpensive.
- Easy to source
- Can harbor mold with time
4. Exo Terras
These are also popular for ball pythons. They are designed to house reptiles and amphibians. They would have a background to simulate the natural habitat of ball pythons.
- Good quality
- Good for reptiles and amphibians
Best Ball Python Enclosure
There are multiple ball python enclosures on the market right now. This might make someone confused about which one to choose.
The table below gives you a quick comparison important to help you make up your mind. You will be able to learn more about these enclosures in no time.
|Pictures||Ball Python Enclosure||Brand||Links|
|Exo Terra Short|
All Glass Terrarium
|Exo Terra Nano|
Starter Kit 10
|Exo Terra Glass|
|Exo Terra Rainforest|
Best Ball Python Enclosure Reviews
1. Exo Terra Allglass Terrarium
If you are looking for the best way to keep your ball python in an enclosure, then this is a nice option. This glass terrarium provides an impressive view of the python in its environment. Also, comes with the best decorations to give the ball python a place to relax all the time.
The enclosure is also designed to be escape-proof. It is worth noting that the ball python can easily escape if you do not take precautions.
The raised bottom frame allows for fitting a substrate heater at the bottom. This helps in creating the right environment for your ball python. To make the environment even better, it does come with front window ventilation.
- Good for reptiles and amphibians
- It is escape-proof
- Comes with a waterproof bottom
- The glass can easily break
2. Exo Terra Short All Glass Terrarium
This particular model is designed by the European herpetologists. Well, there is no doubt you are going to find it better for your ball python because of this. These are people who understand the snakes and other reptiles, so making the best home for them is not a problem.
The model comes with front opening doors that allows for ease of maintenance and also feeding. You will find the design being easy for everyone. Also, the model does come with a special lock that will prevent the snake from escaping. You will always love that your ball python cannot escape.
As for the top, you will get a proper ventilation. The aim is to create the best environment for your ball python.
- Top quality product
- Good ventilation inside
- It is easy to maintain
- Screen top comes apart easily from the frame
3. Exo Terra Nano Wide Terrarium
This is another top model that features dual doors. The use of dual doors ensures that you get the ease of access for maintenance, feeding, and misting whenever necessary. You can always keep one door closed during maintenance so that you reduce the risk of the ball python from escaping.
The manufacturer also made it to have a reliable lock. The aim is to keep the pet from escaping and still the children cannot open it with ease.
The steel cover allows for UVB and infrared penetration. You can easily move it if you have to do some maintenance. Having a waterproof base makes it good on overall to create a water feature in it. The raised bottom allows for installing a substrate heater.
- Comes with a waterproof base
- Allows for substrate heater installation
- Good for reptiles and amphibians
- Complaints about size
4. Zilla Reptile Starter Kit 10
If you have pets that dwell in deserts or related environments, then this is a nice enclosure to buy. This is because it comes with all the important amenities that make it a conducive environment. You are going to love seeing your ball python having a good time in the enclosure.
Another thing you will love should be that it is made of glass. This makes it easy to see the ball python with ease enjoying itself in the natural like habitat. The use of the reflective dome light fixtures also makes it good for lighting up the ball python enclosure.
Well, you will also love the temperature gauge in the ball python enclosure. It is great to ensure you can maintain the right temperature.
- Good for reptiles
- Large screen cover
- Has dome light fixtures
- Can easily break if not cared for
5. Exo Terra Glass Natural Terrarium Nano/Tall
When it comes to owning the best ball python enclosure, at least it should look good. That is what you get with this model as it comes with a natural looking rock background. Such a background should also make the ball python feel like it is in the natural habitat.
Also, the background will provide for running cords and tubing at the top to bottom without necessarily being seen. It helps in maintaining that natural look.
The model still features the enlarged ground surface. It does now provide enough room for setting the desert and additional ground for the reptiles to play in. The aim is to provide the best environment as much as possible.
The overall quality is good, so expect that the model would last for a long time.
- Ease of setting up
- Natural habitat background
- Top quality
- Expensive model
6. Carolina Custom Cages Terrarium
If you are in the market for a large ball python enclosure, then this is the best one to get. It might not be the cheapest, but it definitely delivers on the best space. Most people would feel it is worth investing in getting one as it keeps the reptiles having the best space and environment ever.
The manufacturer also made the model to be easy to assemble. As a result, you are looking to get a model that can be set up in the shortest time possible. Also, it comes in different sizes so that you can choose depending on your needs.
The model also has a waterproof base. The sliding doors allow for ease of accessing the enclosure and cleaning it.
- High quality
- Multiple sizes available
- Waterproof bottom
- It is expensive
7. Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit
This is a full glass terrarium on the market right now. This model is seen to be great for snakes, lizards, geckos, and frogs. Well, if you have multiple pets, you can just get one brand of kits for them to use a habitat.
To make it the best, it also comes with dual doors. Just like others, the aim of dual doors is to help with the maintenance and feeding of the pet. Also, you can open one door without the ball python escaping. You should definitely love owning one for the snake.
As part of making it realistic, it also comes with all the necessary decoration items. These items include substrate, water dish, jungle rope, and jungle vines.
- Has a top lighting system
- All multiple decorations
- Ideal for reptiles
- Glass can easily break
8. Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium
Having a 6-foot power cord makes it great for setting it up where you want. You will not have to keep the ball python enclosure so close to the outlet. Also, it features the airline tubing exit slots. This should provide for proper aeration of the enclosure.
To make even aeration better, the model still features a front and top ventilation. This goes to show that your ball python pet should have the best environment ever.
Also, the model comes with a naturalistic decoration. This helps in keeping the ball python enclosure realistic at all times.
Since it has been designed by a top brand, we also expect to be functional in every way. It is good not just for ball pythons, but also birds, amphibians, and aquatic pets.
- Ease of cleaning
- Impressive ventilation
- Long power cord
- Small for the price
9. Exo Terra Outback Terrarium
This is a nice option you can opt for right now. It is made to be great on overall for keeping your ball python in the best environment. You will love it for having the best design that allows for the best ventilation. On overall, there is the best air quality inside the enclosure at all times.
The model also comes with an impressive 3D rock background. The aim is to provide the ball python with the natural habitat that it needs.
Having the best lock keeps the snake from escaping. Also, the kids will not be able to open it with ease. As a result, it is going to be the best option for most ball python owners.
- It comes with dual doors for escape-free access
- It is easy to clean and maintain
- Has window ventilation
- Expensive model
10. Zilla Vertical Tropical Kit
This is a nice option for those looking for a model with beautiful background. With such a background, it is going to make the enclosure standout on overall. There is no doubt you would love owning the model as it is ideal for reptiles and amphibians.
Unlike other models, this one also allows for adding water. It can hold up to 5” of water, which should be enough for your ball python. The aim is to create a natural habitat as much as possible.
There is also the front opening door. This allows for ease of feeding and cleaning of the enclosure. The locking hatch keeps the children from easily opening the enclosure. This is important to keep the snake from escaping from the enclosure.
- Comes with lighting
- Good for small reptiles
- It is easy to clean
- The glass needs extra care
Instructions on How to Care the Ball Python
As part of caring for the ball python, you will have to feed it. So, what does a ball python eat? That is the question any person who has not raised a ball python would ask. Here are some tips to get you started.
- You will have to feed the snake rodents every week or two. This is because ball pythons will eat every 7 to 14 days. This can be less often mostly during winter months. As for the younger snakes, they would eat weekly. It is also recommended to pre-kill a live rodent before giving it to the snake.
- When it comes to feeding, just place the rodent in the enclosure and let the snake take its time. Sometimes the snake can be less interested in the rodent. In such a case, take away the rodent after an hour. You can still try the next day and see if it will eat the rodent.
- After you feed the snake, make sure not to handle it for a full day. Handling the snake soon after feeding it will simply make it vomit. That would be quite a waste considering it does not eat that often.
- As suggested earlier, the snake might not be into eating during winter. This is mostly in the adult snakes. When the snake is ready to ready, it will start eating normally once again.
- The ball pythons love to take dips in water. As a result, you might want to change the water in the dish more often. You can even do it daily. Make sure that the water is a bit warm just as the snake likes it.
How to Set Up a Ball Python Enclosure?
If you are going to set up a ball python enclosure, you will have to make sure the environment in the end is suitable for your pet.
First of all, you need to get the best enclosure. Some even just start by using a glass tank or buy one from a pet store close to you. Make sure it is a large aquarium so that it gives the ball python enough room to move around. The recommended size is a 30-gallon model for the large ball python.
Next, you need to get a heat lamp and thermometers too. The aim is to ensure that the environment is kept at a temperature ideal for the ball python. As much as heat is needed, you do not have to keep it too hot. This is where the thermometers come in. You can use them to know more about the temperature in the enclosure.
Another thing you have to consider is giving the snake hiding places in the enclosure. This is because ball pythons love to hide. Well, having at least two hiding areas in the enclosure should definitely be ideal. It is recommended that you buy the commercial hiding boxes to help make it more natural.
The ball python enclosure still needs a substrate. You can line the bottom of the aquarium with moss or shredded newspaper if you are on a budget. You can opt for the commercial substrates whose aim is to ensure the snake gets the best environment. That being said, do not use pine or aspen substrate. This is because the two absorb too much humidity and will make the substrate too dry for the snake.
A soaking tub is also a nice inclusion for a ball python enclosure. The tub will provide a cool area for your snake to take dips when it is hot outside. Get a large dish that gives room for the snake to soak itself. For the young snakes, use a shallow dish with an inch of water so as to prevent drowning.
What Size Tank is Needed for a Ball Python?
It is important to get the right tank in terms of size for the ball python. For an adult ball python, it is recommended that you use a 30-40-gallon tank. As for the baby snake, it should not be smaller than 5 gallons.
Having enough room to move around should help keep the ball python in the right state of health.
How to Hold a Ball Python
Below are some tips to help you hold a ball python.
- First of all, you have to be patient. Most ball pythons are shy at first. If each time the snake hides from you when you want to hold it, give it time to know you first. It might even bite for the first few times when you pick it up as it is still fearful. As for the bites, just wash the area with water and soap then you should be good.
- It is also advisable to scoop the ball python using both hands. This helps to support the entire body and make the snake also feel secure. Once you have picked it up, do not move quickly. Keep the motions slow and gradual all the time while holding it.
- You can still sit down and even relax while holding the snake. This will help keep the snake calm and comfortable in your hands.
- Some might love their pets so much that they want to hold it daily. However, on the day that you feed it, you might as well as skip holding it. Holding the snake this soon causes it to regurgitate.
Once you take care of your ball python, you should have a great pet on overall. Just keep in mind all the tips we have discussed above.
As you can see, there is so much to expect in the world of ball python enclosures. Most are designed to provide the best environment for your pet. Well, by now you should have an idea which is the best for you.